How to ruin the performance of your SEO in 5 steps?
A little bit of irony today! We are obviously going to list the 5 things you absolutely should not do to succeed in SEO.
1. Choose your keywords randomly
This is even more important in SEO than in Scrabble 🔡
Never do that! Keywords are the basis of your SEO! Why? Because it is from them that your potential customers will find you on search engines. We have already discussed the subject in the article how to find the best keywords in order to be visible in the SERP and bring the customers that you really want. Good keywords, means qualified traffic for your site! You can also use a reliable keyword suggestion tool, like Keyword Planner Tool from Cocolyze.
- Finding your keywords is the first step of a good SEO strategy
- It is what will allow your target audience to find you on the Internet
- Contact an agency or use a keyword research tool to find the ones that best match your site
2. Not optimize your semantic content
Highlight your writing skills 🖋️
Now if you want to be ranked on the keywords you have chosen, you'd better use them on your site, if you want to make it visible. So make sure to use the chosen keywords regularly and within quality content. However, be careful not to repeat the same words too many times, otherwise you will create a stuffing effect that will degrade your SEO. Also be careful that your content is as unique as possible! You can use anti-plagiarism software for this purpose. The important thing is that your future or potential future customers find their way to your site and are not disappointed by something that does not match the keywords typed in the search bar.
- You must write quality content for your SEO but also for your readers
- Use your keywords but when necessary and with moderation to avoid stuffing
- Be surethat your content is unique with an anti-plagiarism software
3. Let go of your technical SEO
Everything needs to be on point 🙆
Semantics is necessary, but technical aspects too! Make sure everything is working properly and your pages are optimized for SEO:
- Can Google and other search engines easily crawl your site and index it?
- Do your pages have a properly defined title and description to have a nice description text on the SERP that makes people want to visit your page?
- Do the pages load fast enough?
- Is your site made to be read on phones, tablets and other devices as well as on computers ?
Test the technical quality of your site withe the on Cocolyze Website SEO checker .
- Technique is as important as semantics
- Check the quality of your meta-descriptions which are also an editorial task but with a technical focus
- Also check the quality of your page time speed and responsiveness and if it can be crawled by search engines
4. Not developing your connections and network
Weave your web like a spider! 🕷️
Search engines love when you build "connections '' on the web, that is, when other websites talk about your website and vice versa. Be careful though, these sites must be qualified, that is, they must deal with similar topics to yours, otherwise Google will not appreciate that much. So don't hesitate to ask for links to your site from partners or colleagues who have nice websites and are theme-related to yours. Be careful with sites sending you no-follow links or whose site has bad SEO, because they will be considered poor quality backlinks. Some links can also be deleted or disappear, think of tracking them with a Backlink Checker.
- Create connections from other sites to yours using backlinks
- Make sure that these sites belong to a similar field of activity or theme of yours
- Make sure that the SEO of the partner sites is qualitative and that the backlinks created on them are also qualitative
5. Don’t mind your UX and UI
Become the Joanna Gaines of websites! 🛋️
The design, it matters! The algorithms of search engines can calculate if your site pleases and has optimal navigation conditions. For example, in 2021, out of question to have a site that is not responsive, or better, mobile-first. You have to think about the user experience in your quest for good SEO because search engines will only recommend and show sites that are responsive. If your UI or your UX is no longer the first flush of youth, think about having it all revised by a digital agency. You will be sure to perform much better in SEO and also improve the satisfaction of your visitors and potential customers.
- Modernize your UX and UI if it hasn't been done yet
- Think about making your interface responsive, mobile-friendly or better yet, mobile-first
To be able to achieve good SEO results and have a good visibility on search engines, here is what you shouldn’t do: choose your keywords randomly (you have to think about this in advance); do not take care of what you write on your site when it is there that you show the quality of your services to your potential customers; optimize the technical aspects of your site; develop its external mesh, look after your website appearance.