What is an optimized page title ?
Reminder: The title of a web page appears in the title bar of the browser, but also in the pages of search engines. The page title in HTML language is called <Title> tag.
An optimized page title is therefore a title that actively participates in your referencing in the SERPs, thanks to its relevance and attractiveness for the user and for search engines.
Why is it important ?
The title of a page is as important as the title of a novel. It must :
- seduce web users in order to attract them to your site. This influences the CTR and thus indirectly on the positioning ;
- seduce search engines in order to be well positioned in the SERPs.
How to optimize your page title ?
When you write your title in your <title> tag, it is important to respect several criteria in order to optimize it as well as possible :
- the length : no more than 65 characters, i.e. 512 pixels. It must occupy, a at least, a space of 25 characters. It is preferable to reason in terms of pixels, because all the letters do not occupy the same space in a SERP. An uppercase "M" does not occupy the same space as a lowercase "j" for example
- your title must be concise and precise
- include the main keyword of your page, i.e. the one on which you wish to be ranked
- avoid keyword stuffing in your title. It must remain relevant and attractive to the user
- the title of your page must be unique, although this can be complicated depending on your sector of activity
- avoid naming your page "Home", "Contact" because Google takes the right to change the title of your page if it is not relevant enough to it
- don't hesitate to use action verbs: "Improve", "Increase", "Develop", etc
- the title of your page must be coherent and in adequacy with its contents
- feel free to include your brand name if it is well known
- don't forget that you write primarily to please the Internet users. You have to find the right balance between SEO and user appeal