3 easy steps to write SEO friendly content
Reminder: What is SEO content ?
SEO content can be any on-site published texts improving, whether intentionally or not, the value of a website for search engines. Imagine that you publish a cookie recipe on a cooking-dedicated website, this content will be considered as an SEO content and will enable the site to be ranked thanks to some keywords present in it, such as "cookie recipe", for example.
There are many ways to improve your ranking on the web, among them we have : technical updates, link building, UX and UI features, etc. Howeve, today, we are going to focus on one in special : the content.
Why does this technique differentiate itself from the others ?
First of all, because content is basically made of keywords. Which is one of the main criteria for search engines’ ranking. What you need to have in mind is, if users find one of your pages in the SERPs (search engines result pages), it is because they probably typed a word that was also present in your content. For this reason, If you want users to find you, you'd better use the words they normally type in order to search for content like the ones you propose. Secondly, because written content enables you to use some SEO techniques really appreciated by search engines algorithms.
Today, we’ll explain to you why and how you should invest in writing SEO content. We will also give you some reasons why you should hire a web editor. This little angel that with some useful and well-chosen tools, will be a key asset in your 1st rank quest or even better, the divine « zero position ».
1. Focus on keywords
Time for a dictation, take your keyboards ! 🔔
First of all, to have a good SEO content, you need to know which keywords you want to be ranked for. Once you have defined the right words for your website, you should then dedicate your time to create your content. How do you define which keywords you should use ? There are several ways :
- Your website’s activity sector. If you sell cars, you don’t need to be ranked for « trucks » or «bikes », for example
- Keywords used by your competitors. They are a precious help when it comes to know which words fit your activity the best or, on the contrary, which interesting ones are still not used by your competitors and could be a great opportunity for you
- Search volume of the keywords. The higher the search volume, the better are the opportunities for you
Where can I find all this data ? Try our new keyword recommendation tool, made in Cocolyze. Besides suggesting interesting keywords linked to your field, it will indicate their SEO potential, your competitors’ rankings on them, associated questions (useful for voice searches) and long-tail keywords.
It is also possible to find "Thematic Cocoons" with which you will be able to visualize the main themes of the found keywords.
Then, once you have strategically defined the keywords you wish to be ranked for, write your content based on them. You can have the assistance of a web editor that will be able to manipulate all these words and transform them into super interesting and added-value content. By interesting and added-value content, we mean several things:
- Good, pertinent, and logical use of the chosen words. The more your content is relevant, the better people will be satisfied with your website and stay longer on it, making your bounce rate fall and your SEO improve
- Use your chosen keywords carefully to avoid « keyword stuffing ». Search engines hate it. Try to use alternative keywords instead.
- Try to add questions of voice searches and long-tail keywords within your content. These two types of searches have become more popular over the years thanks to technological progress.
- Create « original » content for real, avoiding repetition and copies from other sites.
If the guidelines for quality content scare you, don't panic. Cocolyze's content writing assistant can help you. With this tool, you will be able to test the optimization of your content, since it gives you an overview of all the points that need to be integrated into your text. If one or more aspects are not present, you have recommendations that will be displayed guiding you to better write your content.
- Before publishing content on your site, define the keywords you want to be ranked for
- Create useful content linked to search engine users’ requests
- Avoid too frequent keywords repetitions
- Take into account the progressive importance of questions and long-tail keywords
- Differentiate yourself from competitors with unique content, specific to your offer and audiance
- Do not hesitate to have your text checked by a writing assistant such as the one offered by Cocolyze, in order to check its degree of optimization
2. Create a blog for your website
Blogs remain relevant (believe it or not) 😅
You probably have already noticed the growing number of blogs available nowadays, even if they tend to be called old fashioned. Well, it is because blogs remain a great way to increase your reputation and visibility online. They can also help you become a reference in your field which will help your potential customers find you. But, above all these elements, a blog is good for your website SEO. A blog increases the space for written content on your website and so the chances to rank for your keywords.
- Starting a blog on your website has great marketing and SEO advantages
- It enables to increase your online fame, show yourself as an expert in your field and give credit to your products or services
- It brings a qualified traffic on your website, showing to the prospects that your offer or knowledge corresponds to their requests
3. Write SEO content on other sites
Warning, no ghost-writing allowed ! 👻
Don't panic, you're not going to do someone else's job for them! No, you are going to work for yourself and your self promotion. You're just going to take an "off-site" space, that is to say outside your own site, to develop your own SEO through writing. Having writing skills or having an editor, will therefore be useful to you "abroad", within the scope of link building. "Link building" is the act of creating links to one's site from other sites in order to be well ranked by search engines. Basically, it's making friends on the web so that they, or rather you, in this case, talk about you and get your site up on the SERP. In general, in order to get a "backlink" when the process is free (and often reciprocal), you are invited to write an article about your site or your activity. This technique is called "guest-blogging", which is simply inviting someone from outside the site to write on it (often on the blog). You can talk about yourself, or as an expert. That's why having some notions in writing, SEO in particular, is not negligible. It can also be useful if you intend to get your name in the press or online magazines without spending too much money. You have the possibility to pay such sites in exchange for an article. You can sometimes write them yourself and this is even what we advise you to do. Writing articles about us yourself has many advantages:
- Who better than you can describe your offer or your work, especially if it's a bit technical to explain.
- You can decide for yourself on which points in particular to focus your speech, what to highlight the best in your offer, choose your tone of communication in certain cases.
- You will save money! If you write these articles yourself, they will cost you less or even much less
- Writing on sites other than yours will allow you to develop your network, your external network, thanks to link building.
- The guest-blogging or other form of participation allows you to legitimize your image and promote your services to a new public or audience.
- It allows you to save money when articles about you appear on other sites by reducing the cost of writing.
For SEO and marketing, it is really important to develop your SEO content, especially by hiring a web editor. To improve your SEO through writing, we advise you to pay attention to what you publish on your site to stay consistent with your activity section, keywords and the traffic you want to bring to your site. By